Monday 30 July 2018

Satan Reviews- Books: A Spoonful of Murder (Murder Most Unladylike #6)


A Spoonful of Murder (Murder Most Unladylike #6)

Robin Stevens

Puffin

Spoilers & I have like nothing bad to say about this book so yeah & I can't remember half of the characters' names.

Can reviews be biased? I mean this is probably my favourite series at the moment (and has been for a few years now) so I think for a negative review the series would have to become literally awful. Like the murderer would have to be a character never mentioned in the book prior and the victim would have to be like Daisy's sister that has never been mentioned in the series before or something.

It was obvious that Stevens did her research before writing this even though I know nothing of early 20th century Hong Kong because it sounded like she wasn't making it up as she went along and it remained consistent. A problem not uncommon in other genres. *cough* YA fantasy *cough*
It was also nice to have more areas for Daisy and Hazel to explore in one book as the settings of the previous books have often been more contained, e.g. their school, Daisy's home, their school again, a train.

It was also a change to have someone who actually meant something to one of our protagonists as the murder victim because it has generally been like someone they knew in passing or had met like the day before. Obviously, this can't happen in every book because then they wouldn't have any family/friends left. Saying that, the 8th book is taking place at their school again and I'm surprised it hasn't been shut down because they keep bringing in murderers. 

I kinda guessed who the "mastermind" was by proxy I don't think that's the right phrase but it sounds cool because she was the only person Daisy and Hazel never suspected for the majority of the book. Even for a while after they found out that she'd been at the crime scene. Like as soon as the husband guy who's name I've forgotten but there we go explicitly said that he had been looking for his wife around the time the crime happened. I didn't guess that Hazel's mum was involved. So at least I had a surprise at the end.

This is so short but I have nothing bad to say about this book really and I thrive on negativity and spell check. 

I gave this book 4 out of 5 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment