Thursday 18 August 2016

Satan Reviews- Books: Dorothy Must Die

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/18053060-dorothy-must-die

Dorothy Must Die

Danielle Paige

HarperCollins

Warnings: This contains a few spoilers.


For some reason, when I read this book, I was playing spot the love interest. Of course it would be the arsehole with feeling trope guy. Fortunately, he wasn't in most of the book, kinda and the "romance" wasn't important and was left. Cos if it took up any more of the boom than it did, then I would have killed someone.

The plot was handled well. If the wrong author had done this book, it would have been like reading Wicked again: good idea, bad execution. And this came off as a better sequel than the weird film from the 80's (Return to Oz). Where one of the villains was called Mombi, but she swapped heads a lot....??????? which didn't happen in this book. Thankfully.??

At first, I thought I would have hated this book. It was a lil bit ridiculous with the stereotypical blonde, bimbo, bully thing. It's such an overused trope and I'm done with it to be honest. I was happy that she didn't go back to Kanas because I didn't want another "bully confrontation" thing, it's just ew.
There was also some strange rivalry between Amy and some random girl who's name I've forgotten, either over the glory of killing Dorothy or Nox. Not really sure, to be honest. It's an overused trope, anyway.

Looking back on the book... I'm confused about the Ozma/ Pete thing. Was Ozma Pete the entire time, or just at the end of the book? It could explain some of Ozma's actions, but not Pete's. Like, is this explained in the next book, because I'm tempted to get it as this book wasn't terrible even though I thought it would be.

I thought Amy was a well written character, who was allowed to develop as a fictional person in the book, which sometimes doesn't happen with book heroines especially with books that are being set up to be a series. I also liked how Amy wasn't a damsel in distress for a good proportion of the book. At the beginning she was a little bit useless, but everything considered it was realistic, and she was able to become badass more skilled later in the book.

Obviously someone was going to die in this book, and by someone I mean most of the people who tried to help Amy. Like wow.
Pete jumped into a bottomless chasm- but he didn't actually die, he appeared later in the book. Magic? Then he was Ozma....
Indigo was bubbled to death.
Gert melted.
Jellia was killed and reanimated by the Scarecrow.

It's great to be friends with Amy.
Because you'll probably die.
Unless you're the love interest or a rat.
Or secretly a woman/ the real princess of Oz??

No comments:

Post a Comment