Tuesday 15 January 2019

Satan Reviews- Books: Death in the Spotlight (Murder Most Unladylike #7)


Death in the Spotlight (A Murder Most Unladylike #7)

Robin Stevens

Puffin

Spoilers (not the killer)

This book took me way longer to read it than necessary but that's only because I'm the actual worst- and not a reflection on the quality of this book. As always, I enjoyed every second of reading Robin Stevens' latest instalment of her Murder Most Unladylike series. Even if it could be seen as a little weird that an (barely) adult's favourite book series is found in the 9-12 section at Waterstones.

I'll begin with the most important part of the book- Daisy coming out as gay*. Lowkey everyone was gay in this book (obvious exaggeration) so that was pretty neato. A character like Daisy being queer is pretty important- a main character of children's series who is painted in a positive light and is very unlikely to die being queer is hella rare. Let's just say I talked my dad's ear off after reading Daisy's coming out because I was so happy about it. Imagine how someone younger than me would feel.

Over than Daisy's coming out, this is your usual Robin Stevens book. Thoroughly entertaining, with a twist killer at the end. I can honestly say I don't think I ever suspected the killer- but then again I read the book over around 4 months, so I couldn't really remember everything. I can't really find fault with this book at all.

Overall, I gave this book 5 out of 5 stars. The usual 4 stars that I gave most of this series, plus an extra star for the gay.

{*I say gay because it seems Daisy's only interested in women, and Robin Stevens says something like that in an interview. But Stevens does use queer and LGBT to describe Daisy and I don't want to erase a character's identity because it's rude.}

No comments:

Post a Comment