Thursday 3 January 2019

Satan Reviews- Books: Leah on the Offbeat


Leah on the Offbeat

Becky Albertalli

Harper Collins/ Brazer + Bray

Spoilers, probably

Apparently, people found this book really "fanficcy". I think given the concept (a slightly minor character being "fleshed out" and having another minor character as a romantic interest), it would be pretty hard for it not to feel like a fanfic. And it did come across as going Albertalli going back on herself a little.

I did like this book. It took me that long to do this review that I don't really remember what happens that well. It could say something about the overall quality of this book- but all it really says is that I'm lazy and forgetful. One thing I can say, it's not as good as its predecessor, it's not bad, just not as good as it could be. Part of the problem is that you're always going to compare it to Simon Vs the Homo Sapiens Agenda and as that has been made into a film (that I'm yet to see), we're going to have those rose-tinted glasses on that means we're going to unfairly compare them.

I do acknowledge that there are flaws in this book. Such as some characters changing enough to fit the plot but in a way that didn't really feel right. I think I also remember the book trying to humanise Martin, and I'm like can we stop please? I think I also remember thinking that the relationship between Abby and Leah didn't flow naturally and Leah was let off with some questionable behaviours. Like the book gets hung up on the whole "people are angry at Leah because she called someone out for racism" thing but then ignores Leah possibly projecting internalised biphobia on Abby when she tries to come out as bi??

Anyway, I do think Leah on the Offbeat is a decent book. However, I think the fact that it's connected to another book may have been detrimental to it. Albertalli should write more books about wlw relationships. Mostly because she appears to be competent at it and we can always do with more books about wlw relationships that don't piss me off *cough*Georgia Peaches*cough*.

I gave this book 3 out of 5 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment