Wednesday 21 December 2016

Trope Series #16

Do These Children Actually Go to School?

Honestly tho?

Considering a lot of YA books are set in a time/ place where the main character would need to attend school, they don't seem to spend much time there.

I know that we all hate school and fiction is mean to be a way of escaping shit, so we don't really want to read about how Catniss is shit at algebra, but I'm not the only one that's noticed that in the Harry Potter series (the films, not the books bc ain't nobody got time for that) they spend about twenty minutes altogether in lessons. Like, school work doesn't seem to affect their lives, especially Hermione since she's a massive nerd.

And I can't be the only one who wants a mc to be like "I can't save the world, I've got a maths test"? I probs am, but tbh that would be me in a YA novel. Because I'm fun.

This obviously didn't apply to things set in the holidays (although my school sets a cray cray amount of homework over the holidays, like omfg), the mcs are adults (unless they're at uni or something) or if it's set in a universe where there is no school.

I don't think that this is even a trope now that I think about it.... Be fine...

What do you think about this trope? Comment below.

Last Trope Post

No comments:

Post a Comment