Thursday 1 September 2016

Satan Reviews- Books: Wicked Lovely

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/3051686-wicked-lovely

Wicked Lovely

Melissa Marr

HarperCollins Children's Books      

This contains a few spoilers.

 I surprisingly kinda enjoyed this book, which I wasn't expecting. I probably wouldn't read it again and I'm not desperate to read the rest of the series, but I don't want to set the book on fire and that's the main thing. I might even suggest it to some of my friends. Might.

Something that makes this makes this book different to other books is that I don't want to kill the love interest. Seth seemed like a nice enough guy. He didn't guilt trip Aislinn for anything that most love interests would have. Seth is okay with Aislinn's life choices and didn't try to kill any other male that went near her. Which is refreshing to say the least. He actually seemed to care about her welfare and didn't have some weird possessiveness over her he was a lil possessive, but to a normal extent, like he was more looking out for her than controlling her.
He also let her make some moves. He didn't pressure her into having sex/ remaining a virgin or being in a relationship with him. Also, the whole he actually got himself checked for STI's to prove to Aislinn that she's safe and he doesn't want to rush her and this isn't making sense anymore, but I respect this dude.

This book also didn't have my least favourite trope in it; even though it was set in a school and that's the main setting for this trope. Ya know, the "bitchy bimbo who hates the main character for some reason" trope. I was surprised to say the least. It's probably because overall the school isn't a main setting in this book, it's tbh, mostly filler.

The book itself was mostly filler, as hardly anything happened. The plot was mostly Beira being an arsehole to Keenan because he was a twit tbh and Aislinn running away from her responsibilities which we can all relate to.
Something I'm not massively keen on, but would have helped fill in some bits better than just filler are flashbacks or at least some sort backstory/ more info on other winter girls.

The characters in this book had some common sense. For example, Donia told Keenan that Beira was threatening her. Probs in other books she wouldn't have and would've just been angsty in a corner. But, to be honest, she didn't even try with her Winter Girl duties. She was just kinda like, "eh, whatevs, do what you want".

No love triangle. Best thing about the book. But from what I've read about the next book, there could be. I'm not sure because if Keenan is sort of with Donia and Aislinn is with Seth so why would anything need to happen between Aislinn and Keenan?

Also, what sort of name for a fairy is Keenan? It's a very modern/ not fairy name. At least Donia and Beria sounded interesting. Can't remember many of the other fairies' names. Was there a Tavish? That's how much they stuck with me.                   

I gave this book 3 out of 5 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment