Wednesday 7 June 2017

Satan Reviews- Films: D.E.B.S


D.E.B.S (2004)

Action/Romance

1h 31m

Spoilers
D.E.B.S is a spoof film of Charlie's Angels and apparently Clueless with a gay twist. The gay twist being Amy, a promising female superspy, falling in love with Lucy Diamond, an infamous supervillain.

D.E.B.S stands for Discipline Energy Beauty Strength. Yeah. That's exactly what you'd call a group of spies.

I swear I've never seen a film that screams "I'm from the 2000's!" as much as this film. The campness, the questionable fashion, that weird reminder that phones haven't always had touch screens. I'd say that it made me feel nostalgic, but this film came out when I was four and I have no memories of this time.

The acting was sometimes a bit eh but the actors definitely had the chemistry needed for the film. The relationship between Lucy and Amy was adorable! I mean, they were friends as well as lovers and I don't think the relationship was sexualised. Apparently there's a sex scene in the film that I don't remember at all, so....
The interactions between the other characters were good and were pretty much the best part of the film. The genuine friendship between Max, Dominique and Amy was something I liked because it was funny and I'd say mostly realistic. Also, the tension between character's made sense. Because sometimes, characters fall out over the most annoying things that would be fixed very easily if the tension wasn't needed to fill out the plot- which doesn't happen in this film.

My main problem with this film is that it doesn't actually have much plot and it often felt like the writers were trying to fill the film by dragging a few things out. I also think that this film might have worked better as a tv series. It would mean that the backstory could be fleshed out a little and more plot points could be added without dragging the film out or becoming ridiculously complicated.
I feel as if the plot was a little too Lucy Diamond centred even though she's the main character. Without her, literally nothing would have happened. Which could be why the plot felt thin.

Considering that it's a spoof, this film isn't that funny. It definitely had moments that caused me to do that exhaling through the nose laugh but that was probably it.

I think my favourite character was Dominique, who was played by Devon Aoki. Probably because she was rude to nearly everyone she met; which I admire in a person.

Would I watch this film again? Probably. It's one of those films I could have on in the background while I was playing the Sims or something.

Would I recommend this film to others? Maybe. I think it's a film you could force a friend to watch if you were having a sleepover as it shouldn't offend.

Side note: Apparently, from what I believe was promotional material, Amy's star sign is Cancer which is my star sign. I lowkey feel validated.   

No comments:

Post a Comment