Tuesday 16 August 2016

Satan Reviews- Books: Wells and Wong series #1,#2,#3

Wells and Wong Series (#1-#3)

Robin Stevens

Corgi

Contains spoilers for books #2 and #3.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/18070753-murder-most-unladylikeMurder Most Ladylike


I read this about a year ago, and I honestly don't remember how I felt about it at the time. I must have liked it, because I have read the second and third book in this series and I gave it 4 out of 5 stars.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/22549636-arsenic-for-tea

Arsenic For Tea

I read this a week ago and didn't have time until now to review it so it's not fresh in my mind when I write this.

I can't think of anything I dislike about this book. It's enjoyable, people die and there's no love triangle/ romantic interest for the main character. Might be because she's 14 and from the 1930's and that would be very weird.

I'm going to be honest and say that I didn't know who the murderer was. Because I'm an idiot. It kind of obviously had to be Stephen because he was one of the two living people Daisy wasn't strongly connected to and the governess was revealed to be a police officer called Miss Livedon, so it wasn't going to be her. Because reasons...

Throughout the book, the author tried to tell us that we shouldn't murder people... even though Mr Curtis fully deserved it, let's be honest. He was an arsehole.

Daisy and Hazel have an interesting view of the world that is amusing and doesn't do the whole children are useless thing that fiction likes to do. Or real adults, but whatever... And it had memorable quotes such as
The past is awful, only old people never realize it.

Because it's true.

The book/ series really doesn't like to ignore the fact that England used to be really racist it still is... so you get to read about how no one had a filter concerning Hazel. And how awkward it was...

It's nice to see realistic relationships between characters, especially ones that fit the era that the book is set in. A family trying to not fall apart with parents who both aren't sensible,- the mother being too trusting and having affairs, the aging father who is losing his marbles- a son who angrily plays the ukulele and a daughter who is a lot smarter than her family seems to think.

I gave this book 5 out of 5 stars.


https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/23479358-first-class-murderFirst Class Murder


Robin Stevens did it again and wrote another brilliant book for the Wells and Wong series. This time featuring Hazel's father. Another father who actually loves his daughter and doesn't think she's a nuisance. Yay!

I admire Hazel's love of food. I love how she never loses her appetite and wonders why others don't eat when there's a murder. I feel as that would be me in that situation.

The book had obvious echoes of Murder on the Orient Express, with the locked cabin (how could they get in??) and the multiple murderers (there was only two of them, but that's technically multiple murderers). The book by Agatha Christie even makes a small appearance in this book.

The fun, almost light hearted approach to murder as the Detective Society solves another murder that had me almost completely stumped I got the bit about throwing voices on my own, ayyyyyyy.


I gave this book 5 out of 5 stars.


No comments:

Post a Comment