Monday 26 September 2016

Favourite Characters Series #1

Laura from The Wicked + The Divine.


Includes spoilers from the first 11 issues/ first 2 volumes. Like. tonnes.


Laura is basically a sweet angel who didn't deserve any of the horrible things that happened to her.

Her description on Wikipedia:

The series' narrator and protagonist. A seventeen-year-old mixed-race teenager who lives in Brockley, Laura is a "fan girl" of the Pantheon, often having to stifle her true emotions in their presence and ready to sacrifice everything to be associated with the Pantheon. After attending a performance by Amaterasu, she meets several members of the Pantheon for the first time and befriends Lucifer. While all previous Pantheons have consisted of twelve gods, Laura is revealed to possibly be the first thirteenth member, Persephone.

I swear that if Luci hadn't died then they would have got together. And by "befriends Lucifer", they mean it in the gayest way possible.
I still ship them even though they're both dead (canonically, but not in my head).


Also, Laura was an unusual protagonist for me, as in most YA books (which is what I mostly read) have white, straight female protagonists. Well, Laura isn't white and it's strongly hinted that she's gay for Luci. And if the whole "Luci's head got exploded by the old women who seems to like exploding people's heads" thing didn't happen, I bet they would have got together.
I think I'm low-key obsessed with this ship. 

Laura was very strong willed and was willing to do anything to get what she wanted, either that be recognition or justice for Luci. She was v. determined, basically. She's kind/ nice in a normal way. Like, she'd be kind to you but would also chew you out if you were being a twat.

Look at this cinnamon roll.

She was the thirteenth god! Even though there was only meant to be twelve. Then Ananke exploded her head, which was traumatising.
Like, basically: "here's a character that you'll grow to love and then we'll snatch her away from you even though she is the protagonist, we'll also kill her family just for the lols."

But I do have this strange feeling that she isn't dead. I don't know. I still have the third volume to read. She probably isn't though, and it's just wishful thinking. But I feel as if she's too good of a character to kill off so suddenly. I'll have to update this post if anything happens.


What do you think of Laura? Comment below.


No comments:

Post a Comment