Wednesday 21 September 2016

The Trope Series #3

Instalove

This is possibly the most annoying of all the tropes and is possibly the most common. Has anyone ever truly fallen in love with someone they just met?
The most famous example of this is probably Romeo and Juliet. It still worries me that people think this is a love story, it's a tragedy. It's one of Shakespeare's tragedies. You can fight me over this.

Instalove: Looking at someone (usually of the opposite sex because YA fiction is really heteronormative) and instantly falling in love, sometimes happens after knowing said person for a ridiculously short amount of time.

I know that people in relationships claim this is what happened to them, but that's a small minority. So it makes no sense that it happens so much in fiction. It would be nice to have less books that focus on relationships because it takes away from the plot or is just plain boring.
Half the time I think it's more Instalust than Instalove. All the lovebirds care about is each other's looks and that's all the information they have and it's considered love.

It can work sometimes, such as lovers reincarnated like Hawkman and Hawkgirl who are Egyptians often played by/ present as white. But that's a different rant for a different time.
Admittedly, I hate this example but I've only seen these characters in Flash/Arrow/Legends of Tomorrow played by Falk Hentschel as Hawkman/Carter Hall and Ciara RenĂ©e as Hawkgirl/Kendra Saunders. It's just a bit eh,

Most of the time, this trope is pretty naff and is almost a cop out for authors so they don't have to go through character's getting to know each other and actually falling in love. I often feel cheated when I see it in shows. It ruins a show (and book but yeah) because it takes out the will they, won't they? that can be quite fun.

What do you think of this trope? Comment down below or tell me about tropes you'd like to see me talk about.

Next Trope Post

No comments:

Post a Comment