Wednesday 16 November 2016

Trope Series #11

Mary Sue/ Gary Stus

You know you're current when your post will be partially about Twilight.
I don't know if this actually counts as a trope, or just bad writing. Let's pretend it definitely is a trope. A terrible trope at that.

We can all probably think of at least one Mary Sue character.
They've got a somehow overly complicated past, is amazing at everything, has basically no flaws, is beautiful, multiple love interest and is always able to save the day. She'll probably also have many unusual features and everyone loves or hates her; for no reason. There'll be absolutely no lasting consequences for any of her actions.

Probably the most famous example of a Mary Sue is Bella from Twilight, because she had like no description so 14 year-olds could project themselves onto her says the person who's never read Twilight. But from watching the films, it's kinda obvious. I mean, Bella is pretty insipid in the films yes, I've seen most of the Twilight saga, it's so bad, it probably wouldn't surprise me if I suddenly learnt this information.

You can let authors off for Mary Sue's in certain circumstances. I mean like if it's their first story ever or they're a child. That's it.

I do think sometimes, that people are too quick to call character's Mary Sues. I mean, I've seen a lot of reviews on Goodreads where reviews have called out the Mary Sues and I don't see how so many novels supposedly have them. I barely see Gary Stus. Probably because I mostly read books with female protagonists. I really need to read more male lead books....

But the main question is, "which is worse a Mary Sue/ Gary Stu protagonist, or a tstl protagonist?"

How do you feel about this trope? Comment below. Worried that your character is a Mary Sue? Take this quiz.

Last Trope Post

No comments:

Post a Comment